Type to search

You’re in a car crash and you’re badly injured. You file a claim with your insurance company for no-fault benefits. Your lost wages and medical expenses will be covered to an extent. But what about the money for your pain and suffering? You find out the driver that hit you has minimum required liability coverage in New York State — which is $25,000 — or has no insurance at all. Are you out of luck? Maybe not.

New York State makes it mandatory that you purchase uninsured motorists (UM) coverage. So if the driver has no insurance, you should have some coverage available to make an uninsured motorist claim to your own insurance company. You may have also purchased supplementary underinsured motorists (SUM) coverage. This is available when the other driver has insurance, but their liability insurance coverage is less than your own. If the other driver had the minimum liability coverage of $25,000, you need to check your own liability limits. If your SUM coverage is $50,000, then you can make a claim with your own insurance and potentially recover an additional $25,000.

To receive your benefits, you should seek legal representation. To learn more about how the attorneys at Finkelstein & Partners can help you in this situation, visit our website and call us for a free consultation today.

What’s this?
This content is made possible by our sponsor. It is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the attitude, views, or opinions of the 
Hudson Valley Magazine editorial staff.

car accident