The Great Northern Catskills are home to more than just a breathtaking mountain range. Come visit our wide variety of top attractions, sure to please all! Here’s a list of some of our favorites, in no particular order:
1. Zip down one of our highest peaks courtesy of New York Zipline Adventure Tours, which boasts the highest, fastest and longest zipline canopy tour in North America.
2. Walk in the footsteps of some of America’s greatest landscape painters by following the Kaaterskill Clove Experience – a self-paced journey through some of the places that inspired the birth of the American landscape movement.
3. Splash to your heart’s content at Zoom Flume Water Park in East Durham, NY’s #1 Family Water Park, featuring a gigantic wave pool, heart-pounding Typhoon Twister, and everyone’s favorite: Lazy River.
4. Part of the Kaaterskill Clove Experience features New York’s highest cascading waterfall, Kaaterskill Falls – the crown jewel of Greene County. The hiking trail is a moderate walk, but promises amazing views from the bottom. Or, you can view it from the top of the falls as an alternative option. Both views are a must-see.
5. Windham Mountain Resort is home to more than just great skiing. During spring, summer, and fall, the resort is host to several events and festivals. If speed is more your thing, bring your bike and experience our very own lift-service mountain bike park catering to riders of all ages and abilities.
6. Trek on over to Hunter Mountain Resort and enjoy the views from the Hunter Mountain Skyride. When you reach the top you’ll be rewarded with not only breathtaking scenery, but a hand-carved statue of Rip Van Winkle.
7. Stop into North-South Lake State Park where you’ll have access to swimming, boating, fishing, and hiking trails – an outdoor lover’s paradise! Here, you can take a short walk to the site of the Catskill Mountain House, one of the opulent resorts of the past that helped make the Great Northern Catskills known as “America’s First Vacationland”.
8. Find your favorite new libation on the Catskills Beverage Trail – a series of breweries and wineries all crafting their own delicious beverages with some unique names that you just have to say you tried: Guru Gluten-Free Pale or Mama Mountain Mailbock, anyone?
Visit one, or visit them all. Can’t decide? Greene County offers many more ideas including great spring vacation package deals that pair some of our best lodging properties with some of our favorite activities.
This content is made possible by our sponsor. It is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the attitude, views, or opinions of the Hudson Valley Magazine editorial staff.