The Out-of-Towners

The Wedding Guru Judy Lewis fields this week’s wedding questions. Today: The Out-of-Towners

Abbie asks: “Can Canadians get a New York state marriage license in order to marry in New York State?”

Dear Abbie: The answer to your question is “yes.” You can go into any town clerk’s office. Present two forms of ID and you can get the marriage license. I would call ahead and check the details before you walk in “cold.”

Mary-Jane asks: “My ceremony will be held in the midmorning at my church. Our reception is called for the evening. Have you a suggestion as to what I can do with/for my guests during those in between hours?”

- Advertisement -

Dear Mary-Jane: Those of your guests who are staying at a hotel or motel may not be permitted to get into their rooms until mid-afternoon. Try to arrange beforehand that your block of rooms gets cleaned first that day. If that doesn’t work, make arrangements with the hotel, or motel to store your guests’ luggage until check-in time. Then, in the interim, they can do some sightseeing, or shopping in the area.

For your guests who are staying over and for those who are not, see if the accommodation venue has a lounge or small conference room where your guests can hang out. Serving some light refreshments would be a lovely addition to your hospitality. If that’s not available, see if you can find a nearby restaurant with a lounge where your guests can hang out between the two events.

See similar topics in our other post, “A ‘Suite’ Situation.”

To submit your own question to The Wedding Guru, add your comment to the box below or E-mail

out of town guests

Our Digital Partners

Learn how to become a digital partner ...

Unveiled: A Boutique Bridal Brunch is February 25!

Our Best of Hudson Valley ballot is open through January 31!

Holiday flash sale ... subscribe and save 50%

Limited time offer. New subscribers only.