Few can claim it as a must-have, but if you’re gonna splurge — and you love good wine — your own at-home storage system will make you very happy and help you avoid storing your prized bottles in a dark, dank, cold cellar. Sub-Zero’s integrated new wine storage column retails for a whopping $7,995. Yes, 8,000 smackers. Here’s why it costs so much:
- It looks great with its glass upper cabinet fronts so you can peer in and check your stash. Although it comes with a stainless steel front, you can customize the panels to match your own different choices.
- It can fit in many kitchens or pantries with its not-too-wide width of 30 inches. (It’s 84 inches high, and 24 inches deep.)
- It holds up to 86 bottles of wine — 750 ml, half-bottles, and magnums; that’s more than seven per month! The storage racks glide smoothly in and out, so you don’t jiggle the contents.
- Part of the high price is due to the two individually controlled wine storage areas, allowing you to store both reds and whites at the proper temperature.
- Dual evaporators maintain constant moderate humidity.
- More protection comes from the UV-resistant bronze-tinted glass on the front so light won’t hurt the contents.
- LED lighting illuminates the contents in a gentle, energy-efficient way.
- Proper pairing of wine and food is another critical component. The unit’s two refrigerator drawers will hold lots of cheeses, olives, pâté — even bottles of beer and water — so you can use your main fridge for other necessities.
Think it’s worth the price tag? Splurge away here.