My daughter Kimberlee and her family refer to my sandwiches as Gigi sandwiches. I make them whenever they come for lunch. I usually grill them and add sliced avocado to make them even moister. If you have leftover gravy, warm some up and use it as a dip along with the cranberry mayo!
When I don’t have turkey on hand, I use whatever is in the fridge — leftover pork roast, prime rib, roast chicken, or even canned tuna.
“I Love Leftover Turkey Time” Sandwiches
Makes 2 sandwiches
- 2 Tbs mayonnaise
- 2 Tbs leftover cranberry sauce
- 1 Tbs grainy Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbs unsalted butter, softened
- 4 slices sturdy country white bread or rye
- 4 slices leftover Thanksgiving turkey
- ½ cup leftover stuffing
- 4 slices avocado
- 4 thin slices sharp cheddar or Brie cheese (or whatever is in the refrigerator!)
- In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, cranberry sauce, and mustard.
- Spread the butter on one side of all of the bread slices. Flip two slices of bread, buttered sides down, in a skillet.
- Spread each with a little of the cranberry mayo. Layer the turkey on top, then the stuffing, avocado, and cheese.
- Spread a little more of the cranberry spread on top of the cheese.
- Add the second slices of bread, turn the heat to medium, and place the skillet on the burner. Grill until the sandwiches are golden on both sides, four minutes.
- Cut the sandwiches in half and serve with the remaining cranberry mayo sauce.