This Tuesday, April 19 is the New York State Primary. Presidential candidates Democratic Senator Bernie Sanders and GOP frontrunner Donald Trump have been campaigning locally in preparation for the upcoming primary election, while Chelsea Clinton represented her mother, former Secretary of State and Democratic New York State Senator Hillary Clinton, in Kingston this past weekend. (Republican underdogs, Texas Senator Ted Cruz and Ohio Governor John Kasich, have each made the rounds throughout New York to gain some momentum of their own.) With such a contentious race between the candidates, you won’t want to miss out on the chance to cast your ballot for the Democratic or Republican nomination.
New York State holds closed primaries, which means you must be registered as either a Democrat or Republican to vote in them. Those unaffiliated or registered as Independent will not be able to participate in the primary, but can still vote in the general election in November.
(Not sure of your registration status? Find out here: https://voterlookup.elections.state.ny.us.)
There are several important deadlines to be aware of in order to vote in the primary. New voters must have registered by March 25 in order to be eligible; absentee voters must have either postmarked their application (or letter of application) by mail for an absentee ballot by April 12. April 18 is the last day to apply in person for an absentee ballot and postmark an absentee ballot.
If you are delivering your ballot in person or plan to vote on primary day, these lists of polling centers should help you determine where to go. Most polling centers will be open between 12 and 9 p.m. on April 19; check your local center to confirm. Don’t forget to vote!
- Albany: http://app.albanycounty.com/boe/voterinfo
- Columbia: www.sites.google.com/a/columbiacountyny.com/elections/voters/poll-sites
- Dutchess: www.dutchesselections.com/Poll_Sites
- Greene: http://greenegovernment.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/POLLING-SITE-LOCATIONS.pdf
- Orange: http://vic.ntsdata.com/orangeboe/pollingplacelookup.aspx
- Putnam: http://vic.ntsdata.com/putnamboe/pollingplacelookup.aspx
- Rensselaer: www.rensco.com/boe_polllocations.asp
- Rockland: www.rocklandgov.com/files/8014/5744/7388/2016_COUNTY_OF_ROCKLAND_POLLING_PLACES.pdf
- Sullivan: http://webapps.co.sullivan.ny.us/docs/BOE/polling_places_2015.pdf
- Ulster: http://vic.ntsdata.com/ulsterboe/pollingplacelookup.aspx
- Westchester: http://citizenparticipation.westchestergov.com/find-polling-place