A house explosion rocked the Meadow Lake Drive neighborhood in Circleville on Monday morning, but there were no reported injuries. The 6 a.m. blast demolished the house.
Though there was no fire, according to the Mid-Hudson News Network, pieces of the roof were blown off, landing in neighbors’ backyards in the Town of Wallkill hamlet. The incident is being investigated, however officials suspect that the explosion is related to a propane leak. The Times Herald-Record reports that a noticeable propane smell was coming from the home as early as Saturday. By Sunday, the smell had not dissipated, and an individual called to notify the propane supplier. A crew was scheduled to stop by and assess the grounds at 9 a.m., Monday — just a few hours after the explosion.
Two men were renting the 1950s cottage-style home, but were not home at the time of the potentially fatal blast. One or more of the multiple cats living in the home have been unaaccounted for.
The incident occurred nearly two weeks after an explosion demolished a Pine Island home, sending a female occupant through the structure and into her backyard. She suffered only minor injuries. Gas is suspected in that blast as well, although it’s unclear whether it was propane or methane due to septic work being done at the home.