1. Shiplap! Thanks to Chip and Joanna Gaines, the trend remains strong for those looking to inject a bit of farmhouse style.
2. Two-to three-inch thick counters. The average countertop is 1 or 1 ½ inches, so going big and bold makes a major style statement.
3. Blue cabinets are big — in every imaginable shade from baby blue to aqua to navy.
4. Another cabinet trend: Painting the inside with a contrasting color.
5. If you like your kitchen looking sleek and uncluttered, consider installing a charging station for electronics in a dedicated drawer to hide all those wires.
6. Speaking of concealing, the trend of hiding appliances behind custom cabinetry is still big.
7. While a subway tile backsplash is a classic, installing the tiles in a herringbone pattern is a new twist that adds a bit of depth and richness. (Herringbone patterned wood floors are in now as well.)
8. If you have an island, get creative with the stools. Homeowners are adding modern seats to traditional kitchens for a unique look; some are also using them to add a pop of color to an otherwise neutral space.