Hyde Park is hardly a hole in the wall. Thanks to the presence of the Culinary Institute of America, the Home of Franklin D. Roosevelt National Historic Site, and the Vanderbilt Mansion National Historic Site, it’s long been a go-to locale for visitors to the Hudson Valley. Over the next decade, however, it’s poised to become even more of an attraction in the region.
When Bellefield at Historic Hyde Park broke ground in September 2018, it marked the start of a massive new development in Dutchess County. Located on 340 acres on Route 9, just across the street from The Culinary Institute of America, the project will include two hotels, a number of culinary shops and farm-to-table restaurants, an event barn, an educational center, and residential spaces that integrate seamlessly into the surrounding landscape and agricultural sites.
“This is a one-of-a-kind development in a strategic location that will exponentially develop the food and beverage culture in the Hudson Valley while creating a natural partnership of businesses, retailers, farmers, and homeowners,” says Tom Mulroy, CEO of T-Rex Capital Group LLC, the firm whose affiliate, Bellefield Development Partners, will oversee the project over the course of its 10-year timeline.
The 2018 groundbreaking signaled the beginning of Phase 1, an investment that prioritizes the construction of the extensive infrastructure, including roads, sewers, water treatment, and electric lines. Also part of the initial development is The Inn at Bellefield—a 137-room soft-branded Residence Inn created in partnership with the Shaner Hotel Group for a whopping $55 million—which will soon conclude construction and start accepting reservations beginning on January 14, 2024. The newly completed structure expects to welcome its first guests shortly thereafter in early 2024.
Located at 25 Old Vineyard Place on a natural rise with sweeping vistas, the Inn at Bellefield will feature full kitchens, ergonomic workstations, an upscale fitness center, crisp linens, and distinct living and sleeping rooms. The hotel will also offer state-of-the-art meeting spaces, a grand ballroom to accommodate events of up to 150 people, a farm-to-table lounge dubbed The Storyteller, and a provisions market named Eleanor’s Market after the former Hyde Park resident and First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt.
“We are very excited to welcome our first guests to the hotel in January 2024,” said Lance T. Shaner, chairman and CEO, Shaner Hotel Group, LP. “With an unmatchable location in the heart of Hyde Park, the Inn at Bellefield is designed to appeal to both business and leisure travelers seeking a truly unique experience. From the signature sycamore wood throughout our lobby to the Franklin D. Roosevelt fireside-chat recordings playing alongside our outdoor fire pits, the hotel design and layout spotlight the region’s illustrious history to create a standout property unlike anything else in Dutchess County.”
Phase 2A, wherein 12 townhouses will be built on the grounds, will continue construction into the new year. In an effort to preserve the natural beauty of this area, Bellefield Development Partners will only develop 42 percent of the lot’s 340 acres. About 60 percent of the developed land will comprise residential spaces, with the remaining 40 percent designated for commercial centers.
Presently, T-Rex Capital Group estimates that Bellefield will generate more than $118 million in state, county, and town tax revenue, not to mention more than 550 construction jobs and 370 full-time jobs over its 10-year development—and that only speaks to the benefits our region will enjoy before the site’s completion. “With so many premier tourism destinations located in Hyde Park, the addition of attractive, well-located lodging will allow visitors to stay where they play,” says Aileen Rohr, who was the town supervisor of Hyde Park when the project broke ground.
In the Hudson Valley, Bellefield will act as a destination for locals, Culinary Institute of America students and visitors, and tourists to the region. A culinary manufacturing space will serve as a location for food production companies to expand their businesses, while the aptly named Hudson Valley Culinary Marketplace will provide a home for chefs and food retailers to share their artisanal goods with the community at large.
In addition to ample business and production areas, the Hyde Park site will contain hundreds of residences, which vary from brownstone-esque homes and standalone cottages to artist lofts and private estate properties. “Bellefield at Historic Hyde Park is sure to be a world-class culinary destination for residents and tourists alike that will help to highlight some of the best our community has to offer,” enthuses former New York State Senator Sue Serino. “We look forward to seeing all the ways that this project will continue to evolve for years to come and all the ways that it will continue to add to the fabric of our local community.”