The following recipe is from my new book Delicious December: How the Dutch Brought Us Santa, Presents, and Treats: A Holiday Cookbook. This is an essential and traditional Sinterklaas treat.
Spiced cookies (Speculaas)
- 1 Tbsp whole milk
- â…“ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ tsp finely textured salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp of spice mixture (see below)
- Toasted whole almonds
In a small bowl combine the following and set aside:
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground mace
- ½ tsp ground aniseed
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- â…› tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, pour the milk over the sugar and stir to dissolve.
- In another bowl, thoroughly combine butter, salt, flour, and spice mixture. Stir in sugar mixture and knead wet and dry ingredients until a smooth dough forms.
- Shape into 1¼-inch-by-1¼-inch square log, and cut into ¼-inch-thick squares.
- Arrange on lightly buttered baking sheets. Top each cookie with a whole almond.
- Bake in batches for about 15 minutes, until light brown. Cool on racks; store in airtight container. Yields about three dozen cookies.
Find more recipes in Delicious December: How the Dutch Brought Us Santa, Presents, and Treats: A Holiday Cookbook.