Alcohol-free drink from Curious Elixirs | Photos courtesy of Curious Elixirs
Try out these creative, booze-free sips if you want to start off the new year on a healthy note. P.S. They’re incredibly delicious.
Planning to give Dry January a try? Join the crowd: According to Forbes, 1 out of 7 Americans (or about 35 million) say they’re shunning alcohol for a month. “It gives people the opportunity to ask themselves, ‘What would life look like if I drank less? Would it be more fun, more memorable?’” says John Wiseman, founder of Beacon-based Curious Elixirs (curiouselixirs.com), a non-alcoholic cocktail brand. Over the past two years, Curious saw a 400 percent increase in their cocktail club membership—proof positive that the zero-proof trend is gaining traction.
Hot Hibiscus Toddy
Curious Elixirs, Beacon
- 5″ fresh pine (or rosemary) branch (about ½ cup)
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 4 cups water
- ½ cup fresh ginger, peeled and sliced (½″ slices)
- 2–4 tablespoons agave syrup (to taste)
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 tablespoons dried hibiscus flowers (not tea bags!)
- Juice from 1 lime
- Pine stem (or rosemary sprig) and lime for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, without adding water, put rosemary or pine stems on medium-high heat for 2 minutes, flipping often to toast the needles. Add coriander and peppercorn, toast 2 minutes more. Add water and ginger and bring to boil. Reduce to lowest heat possible, and add clove and cayenne. Steep for 20 minutes uncovered.
- Turn off heat. Add hibiscus and stir thoroughly. Steep 5 minutes more, covered. Add lime juice then.stir thoroughly and strain through a fine sieve, pressing ingredient mixture to release as much liquid as possible.
- Pour into mugs or heat-resistant glasses. Garnish with pine (or rosemary) and lime wedge.