“Apples are the Hudson Valley,” says Joseph Dalu, chef/owner of Le Petit Bistro in Rhinebeck. “They’re great players in the early fall season. Apple butters and crisps bring me straight to my mother’s kitchen.” There’s definitely an air of cozy nostalgia to this recipe of Dalu’s, which unites apples with squash, game, and aromatic herbs.
Seared Duck Breast with Roast Squash and Crabapple Butter
- 1 large duck breast, trimmed and scored on the fat side
- 1 hard squash of your favorite variety, peeled and diced
- Crabapple butter (here’s how to make your own apple butter)
- Sear breast fat side down until rendered and crisp. Flip over and cook to temperature basting with duck fat. Let rest and slice against the grain
- Slow-roast cubed squash until crisp on outside and tender on the inside. Finish with rosemary or thyme
- Plate squash and arrange duck breast slices in a fan in front of squash; garnish with crabapple butter and duck jus