Going mushroom hunting? Here’s what you’ll need to bring with you before to forage for fungi:
- Fresh-picked mushrooms should be collected in paper or wax-paper bags. Plastic will cause them to spoil quickly.
- Bring a pen or marker to identify them; you never want to mix edible and nonedible mushrooms — mistakes can be fatal.
- A small knife can help you cut stems cleanly and remove stubborn dirt from stems.
- Wearing sneakers or hiking boots can help protect you against poison ivy, thorns, or bugs.
- If you are in unfamiliar territory, it’s wise to bring a compass, map, drinking water, and a whistle in case you get lost.
» Why mushroom hunting is the next big thing
» Edible vs. poisonous mushrooms: What to look for (photo gallery)
» Mushroom recipe: Cooking with chanterelle mushrooms
» Meet Wildman Steve Brill and the mushroom people (mycologists)
» Return to main story: Hunting for Mushrooms