How to Submit Your Engagement Announcement to the Newspaper
Just engaged? Congratulations! Here’s how to share the news with your community
Announcing your wedding engagement in the paper is a lovely way to let your family, friends, and local community know about and share your good news. But how do you write the announcement? Here’s how to submit the information to your paper.
Dear Wedding Guru: “We’re getting engaged soon and we’d like to run our engagement announcement in our local newspaper. They do that routinely, but every so often we find out that a friend’s announcement didn’t print. We think that maybe they didn’t follow the newspaper’s procedure, so we want to do it right. What are the guidelines?”
(Our answer on next page)
The Wedding Guru says: You can often find submission information right on the page in the paper where they list engagement and wedding announcements. You should also read what other engaged couples have written for guidance. Here are some general rules about submitting an announcement:
- If you want to include a photo, a two-by-three-inch black and white glossy is best. Be sure to write the bride’s name, address, and telephone number on the back of the photo.
- Send a copy of your information (i.e. the announcement) with the photo; type all names written out in full... no nicknames.
- If your parents are deceased or divorced, include that in your text.
- If your name is different from your parents’ name, include an explanation.
- Run the information by both sets of parents, unless you’re hosting your own wedding. Ask your parents to double check for content, style and spelling.
- Sign your submission to cover the newspaper legally, and include your phone number for contact purposes.