More from The Wedding Guru

Mr. Dad and Ms. Mom Divorced

The Wedding Guru Judy Lewis fields this week’s wedding questions. Today: Mr. Dad and Ms. Mom Divorced

Brianna asks: “My parents are divorced. Both are participating in, (in part) financing, and attending my wedding. My mother wants to make it crystal clear to everyone that she is no longer married to my father. How should the invitation be worded to avoid any misunderstanding?”

Dear Brianna: How complicated the world is getting. My suggestion for wording:

Ms. Jane Smith (your mom)
Mr. John Smith (your dad)
Henrietta and Henry Brown (or more formally, “Mr. & Mrs. Henry Brown” — your fiancé’s parents) cordially invite you...

In this way each of the parties is appropriately recognized, since, if Jane and John were married, the invitation would read “Mr. & Mrs. John Smith,” or “Jane and John Smith.” If your mom wants to be even more clearly “separated” from John, she could use her maiden name.

I hope this helps. Have a wonderful wedding — and learn from your parents’ mistakes in their marriages!

If you want more information about properly addressing your invitations, read the article on’s Wedding Guide, “Properly Addressing Your Invitations.”

Readers, how have you dealt with separated (or divorced) parents at your wedding? To submit your own question to “The Wedding Guru,” add your comment to the box below or email


Edit Module
Edit ModuleShow Tags
Edit ModuleShow Tags Edit Module Edit ModuleShow Tags

Your to-dos before the I-dos

About This Blog

Tying the knot shouldn't put knots in your stomach, so whether you're the blushing bride, hubby-to-be, or even a wedding guest, The Wedding Guru Judy Lewis can answer all of your wedding-related questions.

This blog hails from, the one-stop resource for services and products, promotions and specials, a Regional Bridal Show schedule, Wed Shop, and links to money-saving and wedding-related Web sites.

Edit ModuleShow Tags

Edit Module
Edit Module