Gluten-Free Banana Pancakes (Recipe)
Mama Greenest shares her newest favorite recipe: gluten-free banana pancakes
Pre-motherhood, I happily juggled multiple jobs that had me working, at least in part, every day of the week. And while I do believe mothers are gifted with superhuman organizational and productivity abilities (even when we don’t recognize them as such), I’m under no delusion that I can somehow do it all and remain sane. I opened my own office in March; between my increasingly busy work schedule, Coraline’s school schedule, and her scheduled time with her dad, it started to feel like we were in a constant state of transition: one of us always coming or going or getting ready to go. Our frenetic pace was taking a toll, and so I chose time over money and stopped working on weekends. While it has certainly added some financial pressure, the decision was a smart one. I’m a lot happier.
We’ve been doing all kinds of fun things with our weekends, but my favorite new tradition is Sunday morning pancakes. A good vegan and gluten-free pancake recipe is hard to come by, but a few months ago I finally found one that’s perfect (well, it was after a few minor modifications). Even if you don’t have food allergies, these are worth a try since they’re healthier than your average pancake — thanks to coconut oil, flax meal, and the absence of sugar — but just as satisfying. Several egg-, dairy-, and gluten-eating friends have confirmed this recipe’s deliciousness, so I thought — apropos of this rainy day — I’d share the recipe:
Pillowy Gluten-Free Banana Pancakes
- 1¾ cups vanilla rice milk, room temperature
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups gluten-free flour blend (I use Bob’s Red Mill brand)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 large bananas, mashed
- Measure the rice milk in a glass measuring cup. Stir in the oil, flaxseed, honey, vinegar, and vanilla. Set aside for moment.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the rice milk mixture and mix well. Stir in bananas.
- Heat a small amount of coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Using roughly ¼ cup per pancake, pour the batter into the pan.
- Cook the pancakes until the outside edge begins to look dry, and bubbles break on the surface of the batter. Flip and cook the other side until light golden brown.
- Drown in local maple syrup and enjoy!
- More from Mama Greenest blog
- Ask Mama Greenest a question
- Find a Hudson Valley healthcare provider or resource
- More from the Parents Guide
- More recipes